You rarely regret the runs you do; you almost always regret the ones you skip.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

That is the quote that I had been thinking of earlier (thanks, Jess!). It certainly came to mind today.


I mentioned that I haven't been able to run all week, but today everything finally started to thaw. I spent the morning doing some much needed laundry and cleaning while waiting for the temperature to rise a little, and then headed out to run. On a whim, I stopped at the fitness center to see if the treadmills had been repaired. Turns out they have been. I don't know how long they've been working, but now I feel like kicking myself for not checking sooner.

Since I was already at the gym, I decided to do today's run on the treadmill. I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I was wrong. Apparently I am not at all used to running at a consistently challenging pace anymore. I have always found it difficult to maintain a steady pace when running outside, and I think that being able to manually control my speed when training (mostly) on the treadmill last year helped build my endurance more quickly.

That being said, I think I'm going to switch at least half my short runs to the treadmill (at a 1% incline), at least for now. I definitely had a moment near the end of my run today when I doubted that I would be prepared in time for the half. It was a reality check, but also overdramatic. I'm looking forward to putting in some hard work and hopefully getting a PR at the 5K next week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment